Cannellini Bean and Tuna Salad with Giardiniera
Courtesy of Chef Cathy Whims, Nostrana. Provided by Western Fishboat Owners Association.
1 ½ lbs Albacore tuna in 1” thick portions, 6 – 7 ounces each
extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground pepper
2 16 ounce cans cannellini beans
1 red onion thinly sliced
Giardiniera, or other high quality assorted vegetable pickles (not sweet)
- Light a charcoal fire.
- Brush tuna with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- When coals are white, grill tuna until rare inside and done on the outside.
- Remove from the grill.
- Drain cannellini beans and rinse under water in a colander. Remove.
- Soak onion in cold water.
- Change water every 10 minutes and squeeze with your hands each time until onions are mild and sweet, about 30 minutes total.
- Drain well.
- Break tuna into bite-size, yet largish, pieces and combine with beans in a large bowl.
- Moisten generously with extra virgin olive oil and some of the pickling liquid (or red wine vinegar).
- Arrange on a platter, top with the sliced onion.
- Garnish with giardiniera and grind black pepper over.
- Serve at room temperature.