Chickpea battered Icefish fillets with fattoush salad
This superb dish uses the subtle flavour, firm texture and pearly white fillet of Icefish, direct from the pristine Southern Ocean.
12 Icefish fillets
200g chickpea flour
100g plain flour
2 tbls olive oil
4 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
3 cups water
Combine all dry ingredients together then whisk olive oil and water to make a smooth batter.
1 continental cucumber
3-4 tomatoes, cut in half and deseeded
1 bunch spring onions
½ bunch parsley washed and chopped
½ bunch mint, washed and chopped
¼ bunch coriander washed and chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
100 mls olive oil
2 lemons, zest and juice
2 slices of pita bread, torn up
pinch of cracked black pepper and sea salt
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and remove the seeds, then dice into small cubes. Remove the seeds from the tomato and cut into similar size to the cucumber place both into a large salad bowl.
- Slice the spring onions into fine slices and add to the tomato and cucumber.
- Wash the parsley, coriander and mint, and then combine to the other ingredients.
- In a large fry pan, heat a little oil. Tear the pita bread into the required size and fry in the hot oil till it begins to become nice and crisp. (You may need to fry the pita bread in a couple of batches.) Set the fried pita bread to one side and add to the salad just prior to serving.
- Season your salad with a little salt and pepper; add the lemon zest and then toss all the ingredients together.
- Make the dressing by combining the olive oil and the lemon juice and mix well, pour over the salad and add the fried pita bread.
- To serve place your Icefish fillets in flour then into your batter & deep fry them in 180 degrees for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain them on paper towelling. Place them on top of your Fattoush salad and serve.
- Enjoy with a glass of your favourite Riesling or Sauvignon Blanc.