10 reasons to Choose MSC
1. Oceans need to be safeguarded: they are home to an amazing diversity of life, they support the livelihoods of 1/10 of the world's population and fish makes up 1/6 of our animal protein.
2. But marine ecosystems are under enormous pressure: unsustainable fishing is threatening fish populations, ocean habitats, coastal fishing communities and economies.
3. The MSC provides a solution: by choosing MSC labelled seafood you are supporting independently certified sustainable fisheries. Their good management practices help ensure fish stocks are healthy, the protect the marine environment and secure fishing community livelihoods.
4. Sustainability is based on science: to be MSC certified, fisheries are independently assessed by scientists and marine experts to ensure they meet our standard for environmentally sustainable fishing. Annual audits ensure that they maintain these standards.
5. You're helping to protect a whole ecosystem: It’s not all about one species - MSC certified fisheries minimise their impacts on the marine environment to ensure healthy, thriving oceans for the future.
6. You can buy with confidence: Processors, retailers and restaurants must ensure that MSC certified seafood is not mixed with uncertified product and can be traced back to a certified fishery. Therefore, you can be sure that the product is correctly labelled.
7. There’s plenty to choose from! There are tens of thousands of products with the MSC ecolabel available in 100 countries.
8. There’s a choice for every budget: MSC ecolabelled products range from pickled herring to luxury caviar.
9. You’re helping to drive change: Your purchases are incentivising more fisheries, retailers and restaurants around the world to produce and sell MSC certified sustainable seafood.
10. You can enjoy your seafood knowing that tomorrow there will be plenty more where it came from!
What else you can do
- Support the MSC and join the conversation on social media.
- Impress your friends and family by cooking some of our sustainable seafood recipes.
- Ask where your seafood comes from. If you can’t see the blue MSC label, ask "why?"
More about what we do.