Wild tuna fish cakes
- 1 x 415g tinned MSC certified John West tuna- well drained (look for the MSC blue fish tick label)
- 500g White & sweet potatoes, steamed, cooled, loosely mashed
- 110g jar capers, well drained or 50g capers
- 1 bunch of dill, leaves only, diced
- 5 large spring onions, finely sliced
- 50g Gherkins, drained, finely diced
- ½ bunch of chives, finely diced
- 50-100g breadcrumbs to add as you go
- 3 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- White pepper, to taste
- Salt, Murray River, to taste
- 100g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 100g Butter
- Whole free-range egg mayonnaise
When shopping, look for the MSC blue fish tick on your seafood to know it's sustainable.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except breadcrumbs.
- Add enough breadcrumbs to just combine, not so much to make the mixture dry and crumbly – alongside the egg they acting as a binder.
- Shape mixture into patties around 7cm in diameter, 4cm thick. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oil and butter to medium high in a large heavy based fry pan. Have cooling rack and paper towel on hand to drain excess oil.
- Fry until golden and flip once in batches until cooked through. Drain well and serve whilst hot and crunchy on the outside.
- Serve with mayonnaise for dipping, green salad or serve patties in lettuce cups.