- 250g MSC certified prawns
- 1 tbsp red pepper
- 1 tbsp pineapple
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp horseradish
- 1 splash of Cognac
- Dash of chilli powder
- Dash of Tabasco
- 1 Romaine lettuce
- Lemon juice
- Rapeseed oil
Like the alcoholic cocktail, the food cocktail was invented in the USA and became fashionable in the 60s/70s. Food cocktails should always be freshly prepared because the raw material ingredients mean that they perish easily.
- Peel the pepper and pineapple, remove the seeds and slice into small pieces. Mix with the mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, Cognac and chilli powder and add lemon juice and Tabasco to taste.
- Drain the prawns and mix into the cocktail sauce. (Northern prawns in brine can be used as they are and do not need to be cooked first.)
- Slice the romaine lettuce or other crunchy salad into fine strips. Mix together the lemon juice, rapeseed oil, sugar and a dash of salt and drizzle onto the salad to taste.
- Place the salad into cocktail glasses and serve the cocktail sauce on-top.
- Finally, garnish with a cocktail cherry or a piece of pineapple and some chilli powder.
Alternative suggestionsYou can also prepare the cocktail with a curry mayonnaise or with canned tuna instead of prawns.
Cayenne pepper can be used instead of chilli powder because it is made from ground chillies.