Crab mac and cheese
Preparation time10 mins
Cooking time20 mins
This delicious recipe, using sustainable crab, was created by our own Matt Gummery, Fisheries Certification Manager at the MSC.
Choose MSC certified sustainable seafood by looking for the blue MSC label.
- 150g MSC certified dressed crab
- 100 - 125g macaroni
- ½ tbsp flour
- 10g butter
- 150ml milk
- 70g cheddar, grated
- 30g gruyere, grated
- Pinch nutmeg (whole and grated or ground)
- 1 fennel bulb
1. Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil.
2. Cook the pasta as per packet instructions, then drain.
3. To create the cheese sauce, first make a roux by melting the butter in a saucepan and slowly whisk in flour to form a paste.
4. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
5. Add a small amount of milk and leave to boil.
6. Once the mixture is boiling, add the rest of the milk, and whisk vigorously for about 10-15 minutes until you have a smooth non-lumpy consistency.
7. Add in most of the grated cheddar and gruyere, grate in some nutmeg and stir until the cheese has melted.
8. Stir in crabmeat.
9. Spoon into small dishes, add the remaining cheese on top and place under the grill.
10. Fry the fennel in a griddle pan or frying pan until charred.
11. Remove the dishes from the grill and serve.
* Add parmesan as well, if you have any in the fridge to use up.
* A rocket salad with lemon juice, olive oil and salt would be a good side dish, to cut through the rich sauce.
* Roasted fennel is another great side for this dish.
* If you’re lucky enough to live somewhere where there are MSC lobster tails, cook these off and include the meat in your mac and cheese for a truly decadent feast!