- 1 MSC certified hake fillet
- Dill, for garnish
- Canola oil
- 8 Spekboom leaves
- 1 jalapeno
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomato, re-hydrated
- 1 bird’s eye chilli
For the fish:
- Heat oil in a pan, fry fish skin side down for 2 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes. Salt while cooking.
For the Spekboom jalapeno pickle:
- Place ¼ cup red wine vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp water into a pot. Dissolve the sugar and allow to cool.
- Cut the jalapeno into 2mm thick slices.
- Clean Spekboom leaves.
- Once pickle liquid is cool, place into a container fully covering the jalapeno and Spekboom. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
For the dill aioli:
- Place 1 tbsp chopped dill, 2 tbsp mayonnaise and ½ tbsp chopped garlic into a container, use immersion blender, and blend until smooth.
For the chilli tomato aioli:
- Place 1 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomato, ½ tbsp chopped garlic and 2tbsp mayonnaise into a container, use immersion blender, and blend until smooth.
- Smear sauces onto your plate and place the fish on top.
- Lay pickled jalapeno and Spekboom onto fish and garnish with fresh dill.
Thank you for subscribing to the newsletter. Look out for delicious sustainable seafood recipes in your inbox soon.