Roast MSC Cod, Charred gem, Tartar Hollandaise, Pancetta Crumb
For the pancetta crumb:
- 40g pancetta
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 20g butter
For the tartar hollandaise:
- 3 free range egg yolks
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 50ml white wine
- 250g butter, melted and clarified
- 10g shallot, diced
- 10g capers, diced
- 10g gherkin, diced
- 10g dill
- 150g skin on MSC certified cod fillet
- 1 baby gem lettuce
- First, make the pancetta crumb. Slice the pancetta very thinly and cook under a medium hot grill until crispy. Reserve the fat. Blitz to a fine crumb.
- Melt the butter in a pot and add the pancetta fat. Add the bread crumbs and cook until golden brown, drain of excess fat, mix in pancetta crumb. Set aside the crumb to cool.
- Now make the tartar hollandaise: reduce the white wine and white wine vinegar by half, over a pot of simmering water. Then whisk the egg yolks and half of the reduction until pale and fluffy. It should hold a figure of eight dropped from the whisk.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the butter, emulsifying each drizzle before adding more. Add the shallots, capers, gherkin and dill. You can add more reduction to taste.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat, add a little oil and cook the cod skin side down for 2 - 3 minutes to allow the skin to colour. Continue cooking the fish under a medium hot grill for 5 - 6 minutes.
- Split the gem lettuce down the middle and remove any loose leaves and any oxidised stem.
- Cook on a high heat on a lightly oiled pan to colour. Once coloured cover over and cook for a further 2 minutes.