- 1 red onion
- Fennel (optional) - to taste
- 1 long red chilli
- Celery (optional)- to taste
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ bunch of parsley stalks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- ½ cup of passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1/3 cup chicken or fish broth
- Handful of pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, roughly chopped
- 4 MSC certified ling fillets, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper- to taste
- Finely chop the onion, fennel, chilli (de-seed first), celery, garlic and parsley stalks.
- Heat the butter in a deep frying pan or saucepan on a low/medium heat, then add the onion, fennel, chilli, celery. garlic and parsley stalks, and sauté until softened- approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, passata, cherry tomatoes, broth, olives, capers, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes on a medium/high heat to allow the flavours to blend and to thicken the sauce.
- Reduce the heat and throw in the ling fillets – simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the fish is cooked through. The cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of the fillets. When the fish is almost cooked, heat some olive oil and sauté the kale, with any additional seasonings of your liking.
- Serve the fish soup in bowls, add a little extra salt and pepper to taste, and top with the sautéed kale to finish. Enjoy!