- Olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, in strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, in strips
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- One 14-ounce (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 2 teaspoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 4 eggs
- One 6.7-ounce (198 g) tin of MSC certified smoked herring, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Coriander leaves, to taste
1. Heat a dash of olive oil in a frying pan with a lid over medium-high heat and sauté the onion, garlic, peppers, and chilli for 3 to 4 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the chopped tomato, harissa, tomato purée, and cumin and cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
3. Make four indentations in the sauce and crack an egg in each hollow. Arrange the herring fillets around it, cover with the lid, and let the eggs set in 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, scatter the lemon zest on top, and serve with plenty of coriander.
Recipe from The Tinned Fish Cookbook: Easy-to-Make Meals from Ocean to Plate—Sustainably Canned, 100% Delicious © Bart van Olphen 2019, 2020. Translation © The Experiment, 2020. Reprinted by permission of The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. experimentpublishing.com
Photo credit: David Loftus.