The Science and Research Fund provides grants of up to £50,000 to support research projects that help MSC certified fisheries uphold best practice in sustainability.
Other funding opportunities
The following grants are currently open to applications.
Transition Assistance Fund
Supporting fisheries progressing towards MSC certification through the In-Transition to MSC program.
Student Research Grants
Supporting postgraduate students who carry out research with fisheries engaged in the MSC program.
Previous grant recipients
In 2023, we awarded over £320,000 to seven Science and Research Fund projects, through the Ocean Stewardship Fund. These research projects focus on reducing bycatch in MSC certified fisheries and include:• Reducing sawfish interactions in Australia’s Northern Prawn Fishery
• Statistics to predict silky shark hotspots and mitigate bycatch
• Seabird bycatch reduction in the Greenland lumpfish fishery
• Knowledge sharing to further reduce dolphin interactions in Australian and UK sardine fisheries
• Tagging silky sharks to identify post-release survival rates
• Improving data on seabird interactions in Alaskan salmon fishery
• Reducing turtle bycatch in the Réunion coastal longline swordfish fishery