The MSC in numbers
Last updated, May 2016
The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) is an international non-profit organisation set up to promote solutions to the problem of unsustainable fishing.
Fisheries in numbers
- 283 fisheries in over 30 countries are certified to the MSC Fisheries Standard for sustainable fishing.
- A further 92 fisheries are in assessment.
MSC certified seafood
- 8.8 million metric tonnes of seafood caught annually by MSC certified fisheries.
This represents close to 10% of the annual global harvest of wild capture fisheries.
- There are more than 20,000 products with the MSC ecolabel on sale to consumers in 100 countries.
- Around 3,300 MSC Chain of Custody certificate holders, operating in 34,500 sites make sure that the product has come from a sustainable fishery.
- Use our sustainable seafood product finder to see what's available in stores in your country.