Tuna noodle salad with wafu dressing
Bart van Olphen
Bart van Olphen
- ¼ cup (6 g) wakame
- 7 ounces (200 g) udon noodles
- 4 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Two 6-ounce (160 g) tins of tuna (preferred pole & line caught and MSC certified) in sunflower oil, drained
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- To prepare the wakame: Put the wakame in a bowl with 2 cups (½ L) of boiling water and leave to soak for 10 minutes. Drain the seaweed in a colander for 5 minutes, cut into ¾-inch (2 cm) pieces, and leave to cool.
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions.
- Lightly toast the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan until golden. Set aside.
- To make the dressing: Whisk the sesame oil, canola oil, rice wine vinegar, mirin, and soy sauce in a bowl. Set aside.
- Drain the noodles in a colander, transfer to a bowl, and stir through the wakame and three quarters of the dressing. Divide the noodles between two bowls. Top each portion with tuna, sprinkle with the scallion and sesame seeds, and then drizzle with the rest of the dressing. Serve immediately.
Recipe from The Tinned Fish Cookbook: Easy-to-Make Meals from Ocean to Plate—Sustainably Canned, 100% Delicious © Bart van Olphen 2019, 2020. Translation © The Experiment, 2020. Reprinted by permission of The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. experimentpublishing.com
Photo credit: David Loftus.